The PNA Office (PNAO) is a Majuro, Marshall Islands-based agency responsible for the administration of the Vessel Days Scheme (VDS) for purse seine and longline fishing in the oceanic waters of the Parties to the Nauru Agreement and Tokelau. The Nauru Agreement is an agreement between eight Pacific island countries (Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu) to cooperate in the management of their tuna fishery. Tokelau is an observer to the Nauru Agreement and a Party to the Palau Arrangement that implements the VDS. The PNAO enjoys a diplomatic status in the Marshall Islands.
The PNAO is a small team of Pacific Island nationals from different countries with a culture rooted in the Pacific way of tolerance and regional interconnectedness – a way of doing things that is different to the way things are done in the west and in Asia.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the position ensures effective and efficient support in the development and implementation of fisheries management policies to support both sustainability of fisheries resources and the Parties’ economic growth objectives.
· Provide day to day strategic and technical advice on fisheries-related policy issues to the Parties, CEO, PNAO staff, customers, and other stakeholders
· Contribute to policy discussions with analytical and innovative thinking that takes into account all available information on the resource, the economics of the Parties fisheries, and best practice fishery management
· l Prepare and present as required, papers for technical meetings including the VDS Committee, Scientific Committee, Technical and Compliance Committee, PNA, Palau Arrangement, FSMA, and US Treaty
· Support Parties on policy matters at meetings and in access negotiations
· Provide support for PNAO, CEO and staff in accordance with the PNAO Business Plan
· Liaise with industry and other stakeholders on relevant technical and policy issues
· Undertake delegated functions of CEO as requested
· Support the development and implementation of PNA office policies
· Support the development, review and monitoring of the PNA Strategic Plan, and the PNAO Business Plan and Annual Budget
· As a senior member of the PNAO team, provide leadership and mentoring to other staff
· Represent the PNA office and region internationally at conferences and forums
· Provide technical support and training for Party approved activities
· Degree in fisheries with relevant postgraduate qualification would be highly regarded
· Minimum 5 years relevant managerial level experience
· Proven hands-on experience in relevant fisheries management policy development and implementation
· Working knowledge of government systems and agencies
· Comprehensive understanding of the applicable fishing industry, gear and other technology in the sector including current and developing fishing operations
· Excellent understanding of fishery governance including the regulatory frameworks and management measures of the tuna fishery
· Sound understanding of commerce and trade relevant to the sector
· Good computer skills in Microsoft Office, and sector-related applications
· Demonstrated commitment to ethical business practices, fraud prevention, and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination with strong integrity, leadership, commitment to service, transparency, excellence and professionalism.
The successful applicant will be based in Majuro, Marshall Islands and will be offered a three-year contract and an attractive benefits package including tax-free base salary, superannuation, relocation, travel, accommodation and education allowances.
Eligibility for appointment to this position is in accordance with the attached PNA recruitment policy which offers preference to the eight PNA countries and Tokelau.
Please visit the PNAO website: https://vanguard.com.pg/vacancies/ Follow the website instructions and forward the completed application form to Vanguard International highlighting your capabilities and experiences against the position essential requirements and an updated CV.
Alternatively, you can call the PNAO Office on (+675) 7500 7500 or email email@example.com
Applications close COB Friday 05th March 2021
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.